One of the materials that we feel strongly about is wool, it is pure, it is warm (and cool), it is, well yes - hygge!
Did you know that...
- Wool is better at moisture wicking (absorbing perspiration and releasing into the air) than synthetics! Synthetics are more compact fibers, so synthetics not “breath” as well.
- Animal fibers have pockets of air in their structure, so they are better at insulating from cold AND heat. Why yes! Bedouins wear lightweight wool clothing to keep themselves cool.
- Wool keeps us safe from fire as it is naturally flame resistant. Wool’s inherent fire resistance comes from its naturally high nitrogen and water content. In addition, wool’s cross-linked cell membrane structure will swell when heated, forming an insulating layer that prevents the spread of flame.
Wool is cool!
Here are some facts on why choosing wool is good for the planet:
- Wool is a renewable raw material - you just need happy sheep and lots of lush grass!
- Wool production requires lower carbon emissions AND lower use of water than its synthetic substitutes.
- Wool is 100% recyclable - you can break old fabric and make new fabric (there is some cleaning build in of course)
- Wool is 100% biodegradable
So why not do what is good for us and those around us when it’s as easy as choosing wool socks!